Rubberband AI rears it’s ugly head again
ESRB Rating: (Teen) Mild Violence
Publisher: Electronic Arts
Developer: EA Canada
Video: HDTV 480p / 720p / 1080i
Audio: 5.1 Dolby Digital
Players: 1-2 Offline via split screen, 2-4 Online
Release Date: 2nd December 2005
At its launch, the Xbox 360 had two good racing titles to its name, Project Gotham Racing 3 and Need for Speed: Most Wanted. With the graphical power of the Xbox 360 EA had a chance to show off this title to the max. Most Wanted is the third of the recent Need for Speed titles after Underground 1 & 2. Electronic Arts listened to the pleas of the gamers as Underground, while enjoyable was devoid of cops and felt rather drab after a few days of play. Given that Most Wanted arrived on the PC almost two months earlier could the 360 version give us anything new? Let us find out.
You’re a new racer in town, working your way up the ranks in racing scene. This scene consists of a ‘Blacklist’ featuring the top 15 drivers in town. At the bottom of the list is Razor Callahan who is skilled at almost every race type and uses almost every trick in the book to defeat his challengers. His colleagues make up the rest of the blacklist.
The game starts with a dull storyline that is set in Rockport and see’s your BMW racing and defeating various blacklist drivers until you come up against No.15 – Razor himself. The game starts off in rolling mode against Razor and then passes control of the car over to you, the gamer. Before you know it, your engine breaks down near the finishing line and Razor takes the win – and your car. The cops then appear and haul you in. However, before you know it, you are back on the streets with a new set of wheels thanks to the gorgeous and mysterious woman named Mia Townsend.
- Circuit – A traditional lap-style course. Finish first using any methods necessary.
- Sprint – A sprint from point A to B.
- Lap Knockout – Race laps around a track, with the last place driver eliminated after each lap until one remains.
- Tollbooth – Storm past as many tollbooth checkpoints as possible. As the race progresses the clock counts down until you hit your next checkpoint, which gives you additional time bonuses.
- Drag – The classic from the Underground series. Speed shift your way along a pre-set section of the city and avoid all the traffic on your way to the finish line.
- Speedtrap – A standard Sprint race with a slight difference. At various parts of the track, there are speed cameras, which you must speed past quicker than your rivals. The driver with the fastest cumulative speed at the end is the winner.